Welcome to IMASMA, the International Maritime Sales & Marketing Association.
IMASMA in brief
A global non-profit organisation, IMASMA
- provides a range of resources, support, and representation for all those who are involved in or have an interest in the way the maritime industry markets, sells, promotes and communicates
- offers Standard Membership of IMASMA free of charge to individuals with a range of member benefits including free legal advice and discounts on conferences, training and resources
- works to fund and provide educational and training resources to upskill current maritime business personnel and to encourage fresh talent into the industry,
- encourages maritime entrepreneurship; and
- works to highlight the importance of the maritime industry and its continued strength and security to the wider public.
In this way IMASMA will help its members to meet the challenge of creating world class maritime organisations in a rapidly changing world. Please read more about the Association’s Aims & Objectives here.
Management & Governance
IMASMA is managed by an Advisory Committee of senior maritime, business, marketing and communications executives, all of whom donate their time and expertise on a voluntary basis. You can read more about the Advisory Committee and its members here. All IMASMA’s activities and resources including websites, conferences, market research, events and training are currently run and maintained by unpaid volunteers.
The organisation welcomes any IMASMA members who are able and willing to donate their time, money or expertise to assist in IMASMA’s initiatives and objectives. Please contact us by email here if you are interested in becoming involved.
Why IMASMA? Why Now?
There have been profound changes in the way businesses and individuals communicate, market and sell over the past twenty years, but the globally diverse maritime industry has been slow to adapt. New channels and strategies offer existing maritime companies and maritime entrepreneurs opportunities for growth and competitive advantage that many recognise, but few feel able to capitalise upon.
Considering the importance and value of maritime businesses, (from commercial shipowners, to marine suppliers, maritime museums to cruise lines) to the world economy it is vital that they are supported and encouraged to investigate, adopt and master these new marketing, sales and communications skills in order to thrive.
In addition, there remains a general ignorance in the wider public of the importance of the maritime industry and maritime security to the world economy. For example, people are all too often unaware of the implications of major issues such as piracy on their daily lives.
For those in business outside the maritime sector, there is also often an ignorance of the scale of potential business opportunities within the huge maritime market.
To date however, there has been no global body to address these issues. IMASMA is a non-profit organisation founded by a group of senior international maritime executives, who together are committed to building a strong organisation to fill this gap, for the benefit of its members, the maritime industry and the wider public. As business models change IMASMA will draw together the best technical, strategic, operational and creative intelligence across media, sales, marketing and PR and help to contextualise and interpret it for a diverse maritime audience.
IMASMA will help its members to meet the challenge of creating world class maritime organisations in an rapidly changing world. Read more about why IMASMA is needed and how it can help you.
Who should join IMASMA?
There are various levels on membership of IMASMA.
Standard Membership of IMASMA is available free of charge and open to anyone who works within or has an interest in the maritime industry and how it markets, sells and communicates. This type of membership does not require an individual to demonstrate experience or qualifications and allows access to web resources, email alerts and certain discounts. Read more about Standard/Affiliate Membership.
Associate Membership of IMASMA requires an individual to demonstrate experience or qualifications in maritime business, sales, marketing or public relations. They are also expected to abide by the IMASMA Code of Conduct for individual members. Once accepted Associate Members may use the letters AIMASMA, and will be given a Member profile on the IMASMA website together with permission to use the IMASMA logo on personal communications. The cost of annual Associate Membership is GBP75.00. Read more about Associate Membership.
Fellowship of IMASMA is restricted to senior maritime business, sales, marketing or public relations practitioners who can demonstrate both qualifications and significant experience. They are also expected to abide by the Code of Conduct for individual members. Once accepted Fellows may use the letters FIMASMA. The cost of annual Fellowship of IMASMA is GBP125.00. Read more about Fellowship of IMASMA.
Companies may apply for Corporate Membership if they have at least one staff member in Associate Membership of IMASMA and agree to the IMASMA Code of Conduct for corporate members. Corporate Members of IMASMA are permitted to use the IMASMA logo and benefit from their company profile in the IMASMA supplier directory. Annual fees for Corporate Membership vary according to company size. Read more about Corporate Membership of IMASMA.
The following examples are an indication of the types of individuals who can benefit from membership of IMASMA.
- Anyone with management responsibility for sales, communications and/or marketing within companies active in the maritime market including Managing Directors, CEOs, CMOs and COOs and companies considering maritime market entrance
- Marketing, Web, PR and Advertising agencies working with or considering working for maritime clients
- Sales & Marketing Directors and Managers looking to improve and broaden their knowledge and skills, advance their careers, network with and learn from their peers
- The maritime media: websites, publications and event producers, freelance maritime journalists and editors
- Maritime recruitment and selection companies, interim sales and marketing directors/managers
- Maritime market research, sales and marketing consultants
- Marketing and sales product and service suppliers wishing to meet and develop a presence in the maritime supplier market
For more information about Standard/Affiliate, Associate, Fellowship and Corporate Membership of IMASMA visit the membership section of the website.